Monday, January 10, 2011

clothe yourself with humility

I had dinner with friends last night who raised some good questions about my move. Actually, so many good questions that by then end of our time together it was just a big mess of doubt about the wisdom of it all. This is not the first time that I had come across this scepticsm, but because I love and hold their opinion in very high regard I became discouraged thinking about the impossibility of the task at hand.

Did I realize that my whole life would change? They asked. Did I realize that I would never fit in by the simple fact that I had a job and would be going in and out of the neighborhood each day? I did. Did I realize that I would have to forsake most friendships and time out of the neighborhood, and even then, would have to wait years before forming significant friendships? I had. Did I realize that my job at the salon would not last, because of the simple fact about how I dressed there, not fitting with how people dressed in the neighborhood, or perhaps even making me a target?

As I was warming up the car to go home, very much overwhelmed, I heard a small whisper.

Clothe yourself with humility...

I had to smile. Colossians 3:12 says:
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

I can try to dress like them, talk like them, dye my hair back brown instead of barbie-blond, but in the end, that is not what will win them over.

and then, God...

reminded me that I am His chosen, and I am holy and dearly loved.






No comments:

Post a Comment